Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Specs

For most of my life, people have had an opinion on my wearing of glasses.

Many said “get contacts” and, later, “get eye surgery.”  Some, the ones that have known me the longest, said they couldn’t imagine me not wearing glasses.  I’ll see a large group of close family in a couple of weeks and it will be very interesting to see their reaction.  Although they’ve no doubt seen pictures or videos of me without glasses, the in-person reaction is one that I’ll now be able to actually see while I’m not wearing my glasses.

Speaking of people’s reactions to me now wearing contact lenses, I recently stated on my Facebook page that “I've noticed that some people treat me and look at me differently now that I don't wear glasses all the time.”  Although I acknowledged that perhaps it was me that was now seeing me differently, I feel like my initial statement might deserve a little more explanation.

After some thought, and a little bit of experimentation, it seems that I am viewed a bit differently.  I suppose that my glasses could lend a superficial air of intellect and maturity, but the way I carry myself and my actions shouldn’t be impacted just by the simple fact of not wearing glasses, should they?  It’s strange, because I do feel a little less distanced from reality when not wearing my glasses.  I feel a little more in touch with my surroundings.  It's been only a week since I started wearing contacts.

I know I’ll catch some flak for this, but I have always felt like my eyes were one of my strongest features.  They're big and bright and blue and quite expressive.  My glasses actually shrank the appearance of my eyes. They covered up the lines of my face and reshaped my head.  I’m not going to post photos; you’ll just have to take my word for it if you’ve never before seen me wearing glasses.

Anyway, the point of this entry was twofold, the first point of which is to remark that, whether it’s in part my outlook or theirs, people seem to look me in the eyes a little more.  People's glances seem to be longer, too.  It's as though I paid someone to make me more attractive.  Quite frankly, I do feel more attractive.  It makes me want to explore some of the other stereotypes out there, but that's another topic altogether. 

The second point is below in list format, and it outlines very briefly the things that are weird (or cool) to me about now not having glasses.

Showers – You can’t wear glasses in the shower and expect them to stay dry and work properly.  It’s weird not to have to take my glasses off.

Haircuts – I typically provide my own trims via a razor but I really want to go get a haircut and experience what so many take for granted.

The Dentist – I’m not really looking forward to this one, I guess.  I had two fillings done a few weeks ago and took off my glasses as a matter of course. I couldn't see all the usual dentist stuff.  Would I want to?  Not sure.

Physical Therapy – There was one exercise that puts you in a machine that squishes your head.  Now I can see clearly while I’m in it, including seeing myself in the reflection of the window so I can see my squished head.

Cheap Sunglasses – I think that tomorrow I’m going to go into a convenience store and buy a five-dollar pair of sunglasses, mostly for the same reason that, when in Wisconsin, I go to a gas station on a Sunday and buy beer:  because I can.

Snow on my cheeks – It was snowing yesterday and instead of needing windshield wipers on my glasses, I could feel it in my eyelashes and on my cheeks.  It was a strange experience, but really cool and a bit surreal.

Finally, I just found out I have a freckle on my nose underneath where my nose pad on my glasses sits.  Sat.  They sat, as in, used to sit.  Past tense.  At the risk of sounding snobby, I don’t wear glasses anymore.

I’m going to stop there but I’m interested in how others view this topic.  Share your thoughts and feelings.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I have glasses but rarely wear them. When I do wear them I get comments like "You should tie your hair in a bun/wear a plaid skirt and be the hot librarian/school girl for a day" or "You look smart!" or "oooo, SO intellectual.. are those for real or are they just for style?" People close to me have told me I look better without them. I guess I don't care much either way. I don't wear them much - not because of the feedback I get - but because my sight is not so bad, the glasses feel like they're in the way, and they mess with my peripheral vision.

    As far as my view of others, I love glasses on guys. It often makes them look a million times sexier to me. Clark Kent and Peter Parker are way hotter in glasses. I certainly am under the spell of the stereotype and feel that people in glasses are smarter somehow. I know it is wrong to judge - but some stereotypes happen without our prior approval and then we have to reason with them to navigate the world without being an asshole. Perhaps over time I'll be able to have zero pre-conceived notions about those with or without glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not having seen you in your glasses, I couldn't tell you if you look better without them. What I find interesting about your statement is the last part of the last sentence, regarding the "pre-conceived notions."

    I tend to find that I have such innate biases against certain things. Rationally and intellectually I know these are fundamentally incorrect. I'm a fairly tolerant person. My stigma regarding glasses is limited strictly to myself. I'm attracted to people with or without glasses, although I admit that the style of glasses the person chooses can play into my stereotyping. Try as I might to escape that, it exists.

    I think I'll try to come up with a few other general stereotypes and see if there are ways in which I can test them personally.

    ReplyDelete